Remember those lessons in school textbooks that kept listing out the advantages of exercise in every chapter possible? And of course, a scroll through health magazines never fails to shoot the word at us, urging us to start exercising right away.
They are absolutely right, and all of us know this. If this isn’t reason enough to get started today, and you need a little push to encourage you, read on to find out about the health benefits of exercise.
1. Aids weight loss: Physical activity for the right duration burns excess fat. Regular exercises increase metabolic rate (unlike dieting, which slows down metabolic rate and hence delays weight loss) which burns calories faster, helping you shed the extra kilos.
2. Gives energy: Burnt calories get converted into energy and keep fatigue at bay. Exercise has been found to be extremely useful for those who suffer from chronic fatigue, serious illnesses that cause fatigue, progressive illnesses, etc.
3. Builds muscles and bones: Exercises enable the absorption of certain amino acids that are essential for muscles to grow. It also builds bone density and prevents osteoporosis as you grow older. Muscle loss or loss of strength that occurs with ageing can be prevented by regular physical exercise.
4. Improves the quality of sleep: When the body is tired out in a proper manner, it stimulates recuperative processes that help you sleep better. It allows you to sleep more deeply and for a longer period of time, ensuring that you are fresh and energetic the following day.
5. Keeps the brain healthy: Physical exercise keeps the brain sharp and alert. It makes the heart pump faster, which means that the brain receives more blood and oxygen. It also stimulates the growth of brain cells and the region of the brain associated with memory.
6. Improves your mood: Exercises are good not just for physical health, but also for mental health which is just as important. It can alleviate feelings of depression and anxiety. The hormones serotonin and norepinephrine, which give relief from depression, are stimulated by exercise. It also helps the body produce endorphins, which help increase positive feelings.
7. Improves posture: Chest exercises, especially for women, help muscles stay in their optimal lengthened state, thus helping to maintain posture and upright stability.
8. Improves heart health: Cardio exercises keep the heart strong by working it out like any other muscle. When the heart beats faster, it stays in good shape, which reduces the risk of heart disease.
9. Helps manage diabetes: Physical exercise, especially cardio, regulates blood glucose levels, and consequently, keeps type 2 diabetes in control. Exercise increases the muscles’ ability to utilise glucose, which makes this possible.
10. Maintains skin health: Exercise increases blood flow to the skin, which slows down ageing. It increases the production of antioxidants that fight free radicals which otherwise damage the skin cells. Thus, it keeps wrinkles and creases away and protects the skin cells.
It’s never too late to start, so put on your sports shoes immediately and ensure that you get all these benefits that exercise has to offer! A lot of our health is in our own hands, and we should do our best to make sure that we take good care of it. For the aspects that are not under our control, the best thing we can do is ensure that we are well-covered even if life takes us by surprise. ManipalCigna Health Insurance company’s health insurance policies ensure that you are not stalled by a financial crisis in the midst of a health crisis. Visit their website to choose a plan that suits you: