International travel health insurance combines the benefits of a health insurance plan with travel insurance. It offers protection against illnesses or accidents that may occur when one is travelling abroad. This article covers all the facts about travel insurance that you need to know.
Why purchase international travel health insurance?
The health insurance you may have purchased in your country won’t cover you against illness or emergencies abroad. Also, most overseas travel insurance plans, which focus more on ‘protecting the financial investment in the trip’ do not cover any unforeseen medical emergencies. The overseas travel insurance plans usually provide coverage for lost baggage, trip cancellation, and other financial losses during travel. Medical coverage under such policies, if offered at all, is very limited.
What is covered under travel health insurance?
It is important to look for certain features in a travel medical insurance plan. The following can be considered as “must-have features”, indicative of quality travel medical insurance coverage.
● Offers an international network of providers
● Covers hospital room cost (average room rate)
● Covers Intensive Care Unit
● Covers local ambulance charges
● Provides 24/7 travel assistance services
● Provides medical evacuation benefit in emergencies
● Provides repatriation of remains benefit
● Provides terrorism coverage for eligible medical expenses
● Covers all other eligible medical expenses
The following can be considered as bonus benefits, indicative of premium international travel health insurance coverage.
● Physical therapy benefit
● Emergency dental benefit
● Natural disaster benefit
● Political evacuation benefit
● Crisis response benefit
● Common carrier accidental death benefit
● Accidental death and dismemberment benefit
Keep in mind that some travel medical insurance policies also include benefits present in travel insurance policies, such as:
● Trip interruption benefit
● Travel delay benefit
● Lost checked luggage benefit
● Personal liability benefit
● Types of travel medical plans
There are three types of travel medical plans-
● Single trip travels medical (the most popular) – Covers a single trip and is valid up to six months. The duration of the vacation is covered and is paid for up front.
● Multi-trip travel medical – Covers multiple trips and can be purchased in 3, 6, and 12-month segments.
● Long-term major medical – Meant for long-term travellers, this provides continuous medical coverage. It is typically paid on a monthly basis.
How much does travel medical insurance cost?
International travel medical insurance is usually quite economical since it doesn’t cover trip cancellation and another package like benefits.
In general, the premium amount for a travel medical plan is based on:
● The length of the trip
● The age of the traveller
● The medical and evacuation coverage limits
How to buy travel medical insurance
There are two options while buying travel medical insurance:
● First, compare travel insurance plans from all companies, get quotes, and buy online.
● Second, review the plans offered by different travel insurance companies and buy from the company directly.
Love travelling? Better combine it a with a travel health insurance plan. Because you explore the best without any additional worry!