What is arthritis? When one or more of your joints (fingers, wrists, shoulders, hips, knee, ankle and toes) are often swollen, red, painful and difficult to bend or move, the ailment is called arthritis. Three main types of arthritis are osteoarthritis (when the connectivity tissues that coat the ends of the joint bones get damaged due to age and use); rheumatoid arthritis (when the body’s immune system mistakes your smooth lining engulfing your joints to be an infection and attacks it) and gout (very painful as crystallized deposits of uric acid form nodules/ lumps in the joints).
Here are the causes, symptoms and treatment of arthritis:
The causes or risk factors that increase your chances of developing arthritis include:
• A history of arthritis in the family.
• Old age, especially if you are above 65 years of age.
• Gender: as compared to men women are more likely to develop rheumatoid arthritis.
• A joint injury that led to a fracture or ligament tear.
• Obesity. Extra weight means more pressure and stress on the knees and ankles.
Infections caused by bacteria, fungi, etc. in the joints
The symptoms of arthritis:
• Swelling in the joint(s)
• Redness in the joint(s)
• Difficulty in sitting, walking, climbing stairs, bending, etc.
• Unexplained weight loss
• Lumps under the skin around the joints
Arthritis Treatment: The treatment option for Arthritis varies with the kind of arthritis one suffers from. Arthritis treatment often helps reduce pain, swelling and redness, it also prevents further joint damage.
• Medication: the only doctor prescribed painkillers and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
• Losing excessive weight
• Indulging in omega 3 fatty acid rich foods like beans, broccoli, salmon fish, mackerel, etc.
• Avoiding foods that are sugar based, processed, refined or made of full-fat milk
• Using splints and jointly related gears
• Doing simple exercises to improve the mobility of the joints and reduce pain
• Physiotherapy: improves muscle strength and increases the capacity of the motion of the joints
• Surgery: this option is used only in the worst case and rare scenarios. There are three types of surgeries depending on your condition – joint repair surgery (used to soften and realign the joint bones); joint replacement surgery mainly for the hips and knees (the damaged joint is removed and replaced with an artificial one) and joint fusion surgery mainly for smaller joints (removes the damaged ends of the joint bones and combines them together into a single unit)
What is arthritis - This has been solved but the real reason that causes it is not yet found. Neither has its complete cure been discovered. Only its risk factors or symptoms can be reduced through treatment. In such a scenario, don’t let frequent medical expenses stall you from treating arthritis. With the help of ManipalCigna Health Insurance company’s comprehensive health insurances, you can take care of yourself and your parents.