What are the best foods for a healthy heart? The latest trend in healthy eating is superfoods – edibles that are loaded with many nutrients in high quantities.
Here are 10 superfoods for a healthy heart:
1. Dark chocolate: when it comes to foods for a good heart, dark chocolate comes to our mind instantly. Any dark chocolate containing 70% and above cocoa, possesses the right amount of magnesium, manganese and antioxidants to reduce heart blockages.
2. Fatty fish: 2 servings a week of salmon or sardines or tuna or mackerel reduces cholesterol, blood vessel deterioration and triglycerides (calories that aren’t used as energy but stored as fat).
3. Walnut: In the world of nuts, walnuts have twice the number of antioxidants than any other nut. It’s rich in omega 3 and is a perfect substitute of fatty fish for vegetarians.
4. Flaxseeds: They are rich in fibre, omega 3 and phytosterols – substances structurally similar to cholesterol, due to which cholesterol is less absorbed by the body as phytosterol serves as a contender to cholesterol during digestion.
5. Avocados: one of the best foods for a healthy heart in the fruit world is avocados. They have the highest amount of phytosterols as compared to other fruits. This implies a reduction of plaque or fat build up in the arteries and blood vessels hence lowering the chances of heart blockages.
6. Almonds: Being packed with fibre, magnesium and monounsaturated fat; these nuts decrease the levels of bad cholesterol (LDL) and increase the levels of good cholesterol (HDL).
7. Berries: Just 150 gms daily of strawberries or blueberries or blackcurrants for 2 months can improve the High-Density Lipoprotein (HDL) or good cholesterol levels by about 5% and also control hypertension (a medical condition that increases your chances of a heart attack).
8. Citrus fruits: Lemons, oranges, grapefruits, etc. are rich in a plant-based bioactive called Flavanol. It helps in easing the blood flow to the heart and brain and prevents blood clots by averting the blood palettes from getting sticky.
9. Oatmeal: One of the major tips for a healthy heart is to reduce weight and oatmeal is perfect for proper digestion, weight loss and curbing and controlling type 2 diabetes (a major risk factor of heart diseases).
10. Legumes: Black beans (kaali sem), kidney beans (rajma), chickpea (chana), etc. apart from being rich in protein are extremely low in cholesterol and fat, thus helping in maintaining your cholesterol levels.
Now that you are aware of the best foods for heart health, all you need is the best health insurance available in the country so that healthcare expenses don’t cause heartache. Get insured with ManipalCigna Health Insurance company today.